Leaving a cupboard door open can be more dangerous than you think with pets in the house. There are plenty of items in your home that are much more poisonous to your pet than you may have thought. Be sure to keep these pet poisons far away your pets, some of these may come as quite the surprise.

1. Acetaminophen

Found in Tylenol and other medicine, this can cause liver damage in dogs and anemia in cats. Be careful around your cats, ingesting too much can be fatal.

2. Chocolate

This is a common one but it’s always good to get a reminder. For the record, dark chocolate is worse than milk and white chocolate, but even cocoa can be toxic if too much is ingested. If ingested, call us immediately. In both cats and dogs too much chocolate can cause seizures and even death.

3. Onions and Garlic

These items do not even need to be ingested to cause issues with your pet – chewing does enough damage. Digesting these items can cause anemia and stomach issues. Next time you’re cooking with either, be sure to keep a close eye on your pets.

4. Chewing Gum, Mints, and Toothpaste

All of these products contain Xylitol, a sweetener that can cause serious issues with your pets! The biggest issue you’ll need to worry about is liver failure. Keep your packs of gum and mints out of range of curious cats and excited dogs.

5. Grapes

Grapes seem innocent enough, right? Think again. Even a small amount of grape juice or a raisin could cause issues as bad as kidney failure in your dog. Be careful with this one, some fruits are okay for dogs to ingest and some are not. Grapes absolutely are the latter.

6. Laundry Detergents

This is an obvious one but also worth mentioning. While laundry detergents used to be liquid and up on a shelf, we’re seeing more detergents in pod format and left under a sink or in a box in the laundry room. Ingesting these items will cause ulcers in your pet’s mouths and stomach.

Do you have any of these items in your home? Be sure to go lock them up and keep them far away from your pets. Grapes may look innocent but they certainly are poisonous to your pet.

Have any questions? We’re here to help!